Tuesday 11 January 2011

Never say Never...

Ive been meaning to write a blog for ages now, its just that every time I've loaded the page to write things that are swirling in my head, i cant put them into sentences no matter how hard i sit there and try.

I'm still not totally sure how this post will turn out, but I'm just going to type and see what happens.

My thoughts of late have been pretty much 100% focused on CF. Sounds strange as living with this disease you'd think that i was thinking about CF all the time anyway. But i don't. I try not to anyway, otherwise i just get myself into a right mess in my head and i cant focus on anything. I loose myself, and its not a nice loose myself like when I'm staring at the clouds making pictures, its like i get trapped in my head and I'm surrounded by all these nasty, horrid thoughts and scary possible futures. Its tough to deal with, and tough to get out.

God! i bet i sound like a right mental patient!! But oddly, lately thinking constantly about CF hasn't trapped me in my head this time. Its like i found the window in there and I've been able to open it to allow some of the nicer thoughts in that were stuck outside before. The good realities that could happen instead of the nasty, horrid ones. Don't get me wrong they are all still there, its not like they all floated out the window.... but, well its like they've gotten smaller, less threatening and scary.

Honestly I'm not sure what changed to make them less scary, but I'm glad of it! I feel a tiny bit more free from the grasp of CF. Tiny doesn't sound a lot, but it feels huge to me. Perhaps its because I've been less stressed. I haven't been well AT ALL lately, and I'm only just now feeling like I'm getting to put my feet back on the floor. My toes are touching the floor at least. Usually when i get ill i worry about Uni and about the extra care i need to put into getting better, but still maintaining my coursework (the uni don't give extensions in any circumstances, so its hand something in or fail, submit extenuating circumstances and hope u can resit for free and uncapped at 40% in the summer) and general life. But this time, getting this ill, it put a lot into perspective. I made a pitiful attempt at the coursework i had due in 'coz that was literally all i could handle, a friend kindly handed it all in for me and i handed in my exten circs to resit in the summer before i graduate this year. I didn't get stressed about the coursework once, or worry about handing it in and passing. I just didn't worry at all about anything to do with Uni. I put it all on the back burner and just ignored it. I put all my energies into getting better. Which was and still is very hard.

I don't know what made me change this time around. I had been told how sick i could get and heard stories, seen other CFers put things on their blogs and facebook about things happening to them during infection and i just thought every time, i thought, "ah that wont happen to me 'coz I'm not that bad with infections" I thought naively that all my infections were the same each time. Extra tired, lack of energy, lack of appetite, increased cough etc etc. But this time was totally different, and threw me right out of my naive comfort zone.

I was throwing up constantly, i was coughing so much i couldn't breathe, i was coughing up blood for the first time ever, i had temperatures that made me feel like i was a melting snowman in the blazing sun, my heart felt like it was trying to burst out my chest, i could barely get out of bed for energy, i couldn't eat 'coz i felt so nauseous all the time. There was just no let up at all! I ended up in hospital, my sats were in the low 90's which is totally not normal for me as even during past infections they've not really dropped, and i was put on oxygen for the first time ever. When i thought i would never be on that. I had to have an ECG to make sure my heart wasn't doing anything they couldn't see with the increased numbers, my temperature was sitting at best around 38 at highest it got to 40. I was very ill for my standards. I was also very scared but i wouldn't admit that at the time. My lung function dropped to 38% and my weight down to the low 40's kg...

Its taken a lot for me to get to where i am now. Which still isn't better, not at all really. Sure all my numbers baring weight and LF have improved but its still not good enough. My appetite is coming back slowly, the past 2 days have been good for eating, including eating a cake i made with mum!
I'm trying to best to be compliant with my nebs and meds, but getting back into a routine is proving harder than it has before.

But ill get there. I always do eventually...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a horrible experience you've had! It's so scary the first time you cough up blood. I still get scared and I've had several episodes of it. I'm sure your lung function will come back up. Keep going!!! xx

    ReplyDelete