Sunday 8 May 2011

Changes and revision

Im taking a nice break from revision to write this posting :)

Ive not gotten as much done revision wise today as i would have hoped/wanted too, but ive been SUPER tired all day. I got up at 8 something this morning because i had to. Miraculously jumped straight in the shower, got out and was ready to go back to sleep! Managed to finish sorting myself out and by 10am i was kipping on the sofa until 11am! Not how i wanted my morning to go, but i just couldnt keep my eyes open.

Eventually i managed to get some revision done, then i started to crash again after lunch. So me and mum went into town for some fresh air and some things we needed to get. And also some things i got that didnt really need to get but still did!

Ive got a wheelchair for 6 weeks that im hiring from the Red Cross. So we took me to town in that yesterday and today. I was a bit self conscious of being in it at first, as the only other times ive been in a wheelchair is when im an inpatient and being taken to x-ray or something, even then im self conscious. I think its because of the fact that i know i have the use of my legs, and im not saying all wheelchair users i see dont have the use of their legs, i know some do, and they are using the chair for unseen reasons perhaps, like myself. But walking for me lately is just ridiculously hard and im knackered after 1/2 an hour or some days less so things like shopping trips like we used to have been out of the question and most of the time i just wouldnt go out at all as i knew the pain i would be in when i did start walking.

Another recent change is that ive been put on home oxygen for during the night. I did an oximetry testing for a few nights at home and gave the machine back at my last clinic. The physio rang the other day to discuss the wheelchair options and talked about the oximetry results as well. Apparently my sats were dropping to around 90 most nights and my heart rate was usually in the hundreds. I think i remember looking at the machine once when i woke during the night and my heart rate was around 130! So not really normal... So even tho these results are borderline apparently of something they think that overnight oxygen would be of some benefit to me. Im on 1 litre and then in 6 weeks time they want me to do another set of oximetry tests i think using the oxygen and then they will reassess if needed depending on those results.

Im not sure how i feel about it all really. I mean i knew what the results would show as the things that the physios were saying that indicates a need for oxygen i am getting, and a lot was in the morning. Countless times ive woken up with a stuffy headache and blue nails.
Im worried that this is the "beginning" of oxygen needs and that theres more to go downhill from here now. I worried that my lungs will become dependant at night for this air and then suffer during the day when its taken away in the morning... We shall see how things go. At least im not coughing so much at night now!
Its only been 2 nights that ive used it so far as it was only all delivered on friday, but my chest is already nice and loose in the mornings. I dont know for a fact if this is because of the oxygen or because my lungs want to behave for a while, but its reducing my coughing fit in the morning which is reducing the either almost throw up or actually throwing up, and that cant be a bad thing!!

Theres not really anything else to report on i dont think. Mums taking the day off work for me on tuesday so she can take me to my exam as it starts at 9.30 and it means hurrying on trains and buses to get to the uni on time. At the moment i will be taking the wheelchair to make my life easier and mean i will be less knackered during my exam, but this could change ill see how i feel.
It does amaze me however the difference in the world you see when sat in a wheelchair and how much nicer everyone suddenly becomes! It also shocks me the places some people choose to suddenly stop in the middle of the path without bothering to see whos behind them! Very annoying.

*sigh* back to revision i suppose. Hope everyone who reads this is well and happy as they can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment