Wednesday 11 May 2011

wheelchairs and exams

I sat my first exam yesterday! It was an early morning one, which was all fine when i lived in Bristol last year, but this year I've lived at home for health conveniences and so i have to get a train and buses to get to Uni if i need to go.
There was no way i would be able to manage on my own as the connections for the buses when i got off the train were a bit hurried and i just cant do "hurry" right now. Hopefully i will again soon!
So mum came with me and we took the wheelchair that I'm hiring for 6 weeks from the red cross. I didn't initially want to take the wheelchair as i didn't want my friends to see me in one, i know that sounds a bit stupid, but who does want their friends to see them like that really? It just accentuates how different you are from your friends, how different your life is to their "normal" healthy one.

But i thought about it in the days leading up to my exam morning and i realised i wouldn't be able to cope walking so it was really in my best interest to use the wheelchair, i mean what else did we hire it out for if I'm not going to use it! So yesterday we got up at 5am, and the taxi we had booked arrived at 6am as we had to get the first train at 6.40am to be able to get there on time.
Although it only takes 1/2 an hour via train from mine to Bristol we had to get that train so we could make the buses that would get us there on time, if we got a later train we wouldn't get the buses on time as their timetables don't coincide with each other. So we ended up getting to Uni for like 8.10am or something like that and my exam was at 9.30am 'till 11.30am.
Me and mum went to one of the cafes on campus and i had a friend come up and meet me so i had someone to walk over the exam room with, as that wasn't far and was on relatively flat land so would be easier. I bought mum a coffee and a danish cake before i left for my exam and then went back to her after my exam was finished. Its lucky my exam was only two hours and not three like Fridays will be 'coz mum looked pretty bored when i got back ha ha! She couldn't really explore the uni as she had the wheelchair with her.

My exam was okay i suppose, i do think it will be a resit as it was a case of i knew the questions and it was things id revised (which made a nice change) but i couldn't for the life of me clear my head enough to remember stuff from my revision to answer them :( I tried my best and I'm trying to instill that "that's the best anyone and myself can ask for" saying into my head so i don't feel too rotten about it. At least this year i have managed to get some extenuating circumstances for my exams and my previous courseworks so if i do need to resit any exams or coursework then i wont have to pay for it and it wont be capped either! :)

Ive just got Fridays three hour (fun) exam to get out the way with then and its just 2 group presentations then at the end of the month which i think we've all pretty much prepared for and just have a little bit left to do on them which is good! If i do have resits to do, which i am expecting to, not because i don't have confidence in myself this year, but because i had so much interruptions during third year i didn't really "learn" anything properly if that makes sense... then it means i wont be graduating in July i think it was but instead it will happen in November. Which isn't too bad, as long as i graduate at *some* point this year i don't really mind!!

Being in the wheelchair its given me a different perspective on CF and my life in general. Its making me want to walk a bit more so that's good! I am trying to get up to get myself a drink or food instead of asking mum to get me something, unless its something large that needs cooking, i havn't quite gotten there yet. Though i did manage to make scrambled egg on toast the other morning and i'm still alive :D Ive never had much success with cooking eggs myself ha ha!
I said about being on overnight oxygen in a previous blog and i said that its making my chest looser in the mornings, but i wasn't sure if that was due to the oxygen or not. But I'm beginning to think its a combination of that and the bumpy roads we sometimes have to go over in the wheelchair, its shaking up my chest like a fizzy bottle and this morning I'm clearly so much junk its great! Its a bit dark tho which in the past usually signifies that I've got an infection or one brewing at least, so ill have to step things up for a bit and see how things are at next clinic. I'm back at the gym now and told my trainer i want to do some weights as well now along with cardio and so i did a small circuit the other day and I'm back tomorrow morning when well work in some cardio to my weights circuit :) Were starting gentle again as i had a month off for various reasons and coz i don't last for exercise for very long at the moment, but hopefully i can build up my tolerance.

Anyway better get back to my revision :| Ill be glad when its Friday 5pm as that's when my exam finishes and I'm free!! Sort of :p

1 comment:

  1. Honestly lovely don't become dependant on the wheelchair, you'll find things more difficult in the long run and when the time comes (hopefully years away) that you need a transplant xx

    ReplyDelete