Wednesday 16 December 2009

Sods Law strike 2!

Continuing from my last post, I got to the hospital and they checked my arm, it was a little red and angry looking but I was quite hot so they let me cool for a few mins, and it was still a bit red. So they flushed my line, and to begin with the Saline wasnt going through, the syringe just wasnt going to budge. I even moved my arm about to see if that helped. It went through in the end, but with some force, and typical, no pain at all! No swelling either and my swelling from that morning had just about gone down. Although they couldnt work out why I was swelling where I was, as its no where near the exit of my line inside my vein.

I even had my 4pm round of drugs done and there was no pain or swelling, so they sent me home funky dorey after a good chat about ports as I now have to start thinking about getting one inserted! Scary but I was the first to bring it up, and I have done in the past and theyve been reluctant to tell me, perhaps as at the time I was quite well, now im not so well. But ive got plenty of info to read about it for now.

Ive just done my 11pm drugs and as I was having a hard time pushing my Mero through as my line doesnt seem to like 20ml syringes this time, so its tough to push and hurts my hands, my nurses have said that I can do the Mero via the pump like I do my colistin. I did all this, and to begin with first saline flush was okay, a bit achey but fine, then attached Mero syringe via the pump, and a few mins in and it was hurting again like it was this morning! This pain has continued throughout my whole meds tonight. It hasnt swelled as bad and its not in the same place which I think is good, im not totally sure. But ive got a nurse coming out to see me 2morro for my 1/2 way mark (thank god) and so ill speak with her then and see what she thinks. Its sods law it was fine at the hospital and when im home doing them the line plays up again :(

I felt a bit silly going in after all that panic as this is the first time something has ever gone wrong for me with IV's, and then I get there and things seem fine.... But still least I got it checked out and sorted.

Lots of thinking and research to do about Ports now over xmas and then its being reviewed properly in January and were going from there, but I cant see summer rolling around and me still being without a port. Which sucks as I was thinking I was doing so well, guess I spoke too soon! haha but still if its for the best, and id rather make the decision myself to have one, than it get to late for me to still be able to say no...

No comments:

Post a Comment