Sunday 13 June 2010

Family Do

I was going to do one large blog, but thought that it would be too long, so ive split it into two parts.

I went to my Great Aunty's at the weekend with my mum as we had my other Great Aunty's 60th wedding anniversary party... i honestly don't know how she put up with my Uncle this long, but they make an amazing couple, and i think its pretty impressive they have been together this long really! Certainly a marriage to look up to that's for sure!
The party was really good as well, as me and my mum got to see some people from our family we've not seen for 4+ years! How people change so much is quite scary when you take a step back and notice really... I kept my sarcasm is check for the night though as i didn't want to offend any family members who don't really know what I'm like... However it was all still happening in my head :p

The most common thing that was said to me was "And you must be Katherine! My gosh haven't you grown! You must have been *insert hand gesture here for height measurement* this tall when i last saw you!".... i mostly just smiled, all the while thinking, well i wouldn't exactly shrink would i! that or i was tempted on one or two occasions to reply with, u were this tall when i last saw u, my haven't you shrunk!... But thought better of it. As soon as most of the people had turnt their backs, i would turn to mum and ask who they actually were haha! I knew some of them, but most of them i hadn't seen since i was well like 1 years old really, but some i remembered from the 40th wedding anniversary party when i was about 11 years old.... Man i feel old!!

The Great Aunt and Uncle whos party it was do a type of barn dancing thing and so they had their friends who they do that with there as well, and a band who can play that music.... It did look quite fun, but it would have set me off into a massive coughing fit and that in the middle of the dance floor would not be pretty at all, so i avoided it and just spoke to family members and got happily tipsy in the corner with my mum and Great Aunt who we were staying with.

I honestly could not figure out our family tree to begin with, but as the evening went on i was talking to mum about it all and trying to understand how were all related to each other, when it all suddenly clicked into place and i got it! However i said rather loudly "oh!!!! I get it now!! That makes perfect sense!!" to the entire table and everyone looked at me rather confused.... they really dont know my epiphany moments you see so it was a bit shocking for the rather quiet girl in the corner to suddenly say something loud like that haha!

I got the typical "so what are you up to these days" questions and explained countless time to different family members about Uni and such. By the end of the night i wanted to have a large white board that said my history of my life since they all last saw me just so i could stop saying the same things over and over again! Plus my cheeks were killing me from smiling all night... although the good thing is that it wasn't that typical fake smile a lot of people have for the family do, which is good! :)

Some people asked about my health, to which i mostly just responded with "yeah, yeah im fine, im okay" as i couldnt be bothered to sit there and explain to them about how things really are. Plus when most of them asked me it was annoying to see that sympathetic smile on their faces, so i just said that i was fine to save more pity. However a few of them did say that i looked well, i just wish i felt "well".... although i wonder what "well" actually feels like, i guess its a different feeling for everyone?

There was a bar there (thankgod!) and the guy serving on it, i really recognised him! Im sure he goes to the same uni as me, or ive seen him around town. Either way he was a bit cute, and i was guna ask him if he went to uni and things when it was just me at the bar buying drinks, but one of my Uncles arrived at the bar so i didnt say anything. Im going to look out for him at uni next year... but knowing my luck hes probably finished now!

1 comment:

  1. Awww achey cheeks from smiling!! At least you don't have the relatives pinching your cheeks! I never get the "haven't you grown" remark. Probably because I never grew in the first place!! hahaha! Sounds like a good evening though. Look at for that guy!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete